Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Business Cards: Page XV

[Top Row] The Nut Ranch — this looks like just the start of the design process; “Hmmm... what were all the elements that the client requested on their card? I’ll place the graphic and set the type they wrote down on this scrap of paper. I wonder how it would look all stacked flush left? Not quite right; the balance seems to be off, the house seems lost, and the point sizes aren’t quite right. Oh, and they are missing the city, state, and zip code. I’ll get to that later. Hmmm... Let’s see, if I make the... [phone rings]. Hello? Oh, funny coincidence, I was working on your card just now! Oh, you need it NOW? I wasn’t really finished, but... well sure it looks okay, but... if you are sure. I’d really rather you see a proof before we print it. You don’t have a fax machine? How many? WHEN? Okay, I’ll literally burn the plate as soon as I am off the phone. They’ll still be wet when you pick them up, just keep that in mind.” 


The middle card is Nittany Valley Offset’s. I always liked the full-color ribbon effect with the subtle n [in blue to green] and v [orange to red] on this fold-over card. For a while they were going by NVO, and I guess this ribbon effect didn’t include an o.They are still one of the better printers in the region, but their new logo has taken a dive. Far right card: The drop cap T just overwhelms this card, and the double rule lines are just unnecessary.

[Middle Row] Gold foil on transparent red plastic, now THAT says sandblasting to me! [ *s ] Again, low light and even color blind people will have a trip with this card. Far right card, one of the many in my collection of my father-in-law’s. This was printed at Penn State Printing Services before I started there in ’93. The Lion on the shield is referred to the ‘buggy eyed lion’ — used when the logo is relatively small. Jim’s personal card is below this one, probably done at either Kish Printing or Lewistown Printing, but my bet is the latter. Hot type, multiple font faces, centered. Classic Lewistown Printing style. I loved taking projects to them while I worked across the street at Danks Department store as the graphic designer and later as art director. Seeing a Linotype in action while you wait for a proof to be pulled was stepping back into another era.

[Bottom Row] WC Fritos card from my joining the WC Fritos club. Next, I always liked this card from State College the magazine, most likely designed at Snavely, Vidar, and Associates. Good use of having items “on a grid” and sticking to it, as well as color choices and complementing fonts.



No comments:

Post a Comment