Friday, October 11, 2013

Lost Type Term? Pop'd Kerns

When I spotted these the other day when I was grocery shopping, they struck me as so funny. Is this a lost and cryptic typographic term? I can almost hear one of my instructors at AIP stating that, "Jim, you've really pop'd the kern there between the letters A and V!"

Real definition of kerning can be found here.

So when you open the bag, is it overwhelmingly visually pleasing and this is due to the spacing between the individual snack items? Is this a way to get children to learn about negative space; "Sally and Jason, quit messing with the kerning and finish already!"