Thursday, February 10, 2011

Walking versus running

via bobulate

“It was 9AM and too early to be walking there on a Sunday. Walking down Central Park West in a satisfied way, the way you do when you’ve finished something, when much of a city is still asleep, when it’s too early for blocking the box or street cleaners, and pigeons are still meandering, and sound and light rise like hot symphonies from the grates.

But that didn’t stop the looking. People, out to get a part of that morning — catching the best of it before the rest of us use it up. Looking. Some who passed gave an odd once-over. Unusual.

What makes one suddenly noticeable? What makes something suddenly stand out?

Grabbing the pole on the train home, regarding the stares of now others who joined, I looked down. Bronze medal and ribbon around my neck and still holding token wilty carnation, I was in running gear. Covered in awards that every runner gets decked out with when she finishes a mini race around the park.

The difference between other runners and me: I forgot to remove these before leaving.”

Read the rest of Liz Danzico’s post here. As Miles contently slept on my lap this morning, I really enjoyed reading this post which reminded me so much of my wonderful wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment